Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My Personal Sustainability Practice way to Happiness...

I encourage everyone reading this to take this survey and see what you score...
www.thehappinesscenter.com/survey/survey.php

I wasn’t surprised when I saw my survey results.  I was actually somewhat disappointed in myself. I should be very happy; I have everything I’ve ever wanted. I have a great, loving, supportive boyfriend. We have a beautiful, funny, precocious, healthy 2 year old. I currently work at my dream job where there is a great work-life balance. We are financially stable. Yet my score says my life is not going in a direction I would like it to go. Why is that? I need guidance in learning how to find happiness? I thought happiness was a state of mind. I didn’t know I had to be taught how to be happy. I must be missing something. ..
It took me a couple of days to reflect on the question, “identify a single area you feel both enhances your life and is in some way connected to our world and nature”. There is a single area I feel would enhance my life, my family’s lives, and is connected to the world and nature and that is by growing our own crops. What better way to spend time together, give back to the environment, and eat healthier than living off the land. We can’t grow everything but it’s a start. It would be relatively easy for us to plant fruits which are abundant and produce very well with Panama’s weather such as bananas, mangos, lemons, soursop, tomatoes, etc. This would be a personal sustainability practice (PSP). It would improve my life and the lives of my family in a small but significant way. This is something that can be done on a weekly basis. My family and I can go to our land which is about an hour and a half away from where we reside in the city to tend to the crops and during the week we can pay the men who take care of the property to keep an eye on it. I believe this would create a sense of satisfaction because we would eat what we harvest and we would be doing it together which would instill these traits into our son’s character. I will post updates on the progress along with some pictures. What is your PSP?

No comments:

Post a Comment